My Review of The Memories We Bury by H.A. Leuschel #TuesdayBookBlog

I gave The Memories We Bury 4* out of 5*
Book Description:
An emotionally charged and captivating novel about the complexities of female friendship and motherhood, from the author of Manipulated Lives.
Lizzie Thomson has landed her first job as a music teacher, and after a whirlwind romance with Markus, the newlywed couple move into a beautiful new home in the outskirts of Edinburgh. Lizzie quickly befriends their neighbour Morag, an elderly, resourceful yet lonely widow, who’s own children rarely visit her. Everything seems perfect in Lizzie’s life until she finds out she is pregnant and her relationship with both Morag and Markus change beyond her control. Can Lizzie really trust Morag and why is Markus keeping secrets from her? In The Memories We Bury the author explores the dangerous bonds we can create with strangers and how past memories can cast long shadows over the present.
My Review:
The Memories We Bury is what I call a slow burner; it took me a little while to get into the story. I was slightly confused: there seemed too many facts dropped into both the first chapter of the protagonist, Lizzie; where the time frames kept shifting, and the second; that of Morag, who I came to think of as the antagonist.
But I persevered and settled into the story over chapter three.
I need to say at this point that, by the end, when I reluctantly put the book away with a sigh of satisfaction, the beginning of the story made perfect sense. But I do still wonder if some of the facts; particularly in Lizzie's first chapter, could be drip fed throughout, instead of in that first chapter.
But perhaps that's just me because I should say at this point, this is a cracking good read.
The chapters are divided into and headed by the names of the two female characters, dates and times, and told from their point of view. Revealing, perfectly, the slow but steady build up of tension.
The relationship between these two women is almost claustrophobic and each evolves into a completely rounded character. I found myself almost shouting in frustration at Lizzie because she couldn't see how Morag was weaving such a web of control around her and her baby, Jamie. And the slow distrust of Morag that I initially felt grew into complete dislike.
As for Lizzie's husband, Markus, I disliked him from the off. Useless as both a partner and a father. He'd have been shown the door if I'd been married to him. But, there again, Lizzie's reluctance to face his neglect, shows another layer to her character; of inferiority and need to lean on someone she perceives to be stronger than her. All in all a clever ploy by the author in showing her personality. And why Morag is allowed to gain such power.
Yet each character justifies themselves on the page; so much so that, as a reader, I found myself slightly wavering one way and another even though I believed in my instincts about each of them. These inner dialogues are strong. I found it interesting in how, as the story progresses, that voices begins to change from the spoken dialogues. Both Lizzie and Morag are hiding so much from one another; one in desperate need to hold on to her sanity, the other, equally desperate to hold on to the influence and dominance she's gained. And the interaction they have with minor characters underlines this.
The description of the settings are kept to a minimum; most are of the inside of the houses of Lizzie and Morag. I liked this because I felt it added to the stifling atmosphere generated between them.
I guess you can tell by now how hooked I became on The Memories We Bury.This is a character driven book; my favourite kind, whatever the genre. Yes, I have my reservations about the beginning of the book. And I think the short flashbacks in both character's earlier life, used to explain their personalities, should be divided by
double spacing (perhaps even a different tense?) to show them for what they are. Or, as I said earlier, drip-fed through the book. Otherwise the book definitely deserves five stars.
But Helene Leuschel's writing style and the excellent plot are all I need to recommend The Memories We Bury to any reader who enjoys a tense, psychological and emotional read.
Helene Andrea Leuschel gained a Master in Journalism & Communication, which led to a career in radio and television in Brussels, London and Edinburgh. She later acquired a Master in Philosophy, specializing in the study of the mind.Helene has a particular interest in emotional, psychological and social well-being and this led her to write her first novel, Manipulated Lives, a fictional collection of five novellas, each highlighting the dangers of interacting with narcissists.
She lives with her husband and two children in Portugal. Please find out more about Helene at heleneleuschel.com or on Facebook and Twitter
https://www.judithbarrow-author.co.uk/ : Where I post my own news and views. Please feel free to visit anytime.

My latest book: The Memory - to be released on March 19, 2020...
Over the course of 24 hours their moving and tragic story is revealed – a story of love and duty, betrayal and loss – as Irene rediscovers the past and finds hope for the future https://amzn.to/3bHKFOE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of Wild Spinning Girls by Carol Lovekin #TuesdayBookBlog

Poles Apart: An uplifting, feel-good read about the power of friendship and community #PolesApart #NetGalley #Friendship #Relationships #WeekendRead

My Review of Hard to Forgive A Shade Darker #3 by Georgia Rose #TuesdayBookBlog #domestic thriller #AShadeDarker