My Review of Acts Of Convenience by Alex Craigie

 

 I gave Acts of Convenience 4* out of 5*

Book Description:

Imagine, if you will, a near future where governments adopt policies that suit them rather than the people they were elected to represent.
Imagine a near future where old age and chronic problems are swept away with expedient legislation.
I know; it's an unlikely scenario.
However, it's a scenario in which Cassie Lincoln finds herself.
It's a scenario that compels her to take action.
It's a scenario that leads to despair and danger.

My Review:

I am already familiar with Alex Craigie's work, having read her debut novel. Someone Close to Home which I reviewed here, and I admire and enjoy her style of writing.

Similar to this first book there is an underlying passion in the themes she has chosen in Acts of Convenience

Yet this book is different; this is a slow burner; the first third of the story sets the scene, the world that Cassie Lincoln and her family live and work in. This is a Britain that is inexorably controlled by a corrupt Government through its machinations within the National Health Service. There is an almost dystopian sense to the plot, without there having been an initial catastrophe, where the self-serving wealthy and influential people thrive and the populace suffer year by year.

 I always say that I do not give spoilers in my reviews; I point out the strengths of a novel as I see them and explain why I like them. But I will also explain what doesn't work for me. So, for the latter, I'll say it took a second read to fully appreciate why there is a long lead -up to the action... and then there is that 'light bulb moment', when all the groundwork makes sense and ties in as the story progresses. And, once the action starts (at around a third into the book) there are many twists and turns to the plot.


The opening chapter is heartbreaking ( I'll say no more but it's our introduction to Cassie and her husband Adam in 2017). In the following chapters we follow her and her family, quite rapidly, through to 2055. And, at the same time we are privy to the conspiracies and manoeuvrings of subsequent Prime Ministers and their Governments, desperate to hold on to their power and wealth through corrupt Acts of Parliament. These are presented to the nation as strategies for the 'greater good '. And any dissent is portrayed as anarchy and violent crime - and dealt with viciously.


It is to the author's credit that, even though this is a plot- driven novel, there has been no neglect of the characters; all are well-rounded, multi-layered and grow as the story continues: some I thoroughly liked, others I disliked, some even irritated me - yet all leapt from the page as true personalities. The dialogue , both spoken and internal, excellently convey the emotions of the characters and it is obvious at all times who is speaking, even without dialogue tags.


The descriptions of the settings are well written and give a strong sense of place, a must for me as a reader; I need to see the world the characters inhabit.

Interestingly the story is written throughout in the present tense, with the  third person narrator revealing the viewpoint of each of the main characters. This adds to the tension for the reader, I think. 

As I said above, this is a slow-burner. But the detailed lead-up is necessary and interesting and ultimately it is well worth the wait. 

I have no hesitation in recommending Acts of Convenience.


About Alex Craig:

Born in Sunderland, in the north of England, Alex has drifted southwards finally coming to rest over thirty years ago in a peaceful village between Pembroke and Tenby in south west Wales.

She lives in an old, draughty house with stone walls 2' thick and knows she's really lucky to have all her children and grandchildren living close by. It's often chaotic and noisy but these are her most treasured moments and she savours them - even if she's reduced to an immovable heap after they've gone.

When not writing, reading or simply enjoying the rural life, she's in the garden waging a war of attrition against the brambles that are encouraged in the hedges for birds to nest in, vicious nettles that support a variety of butterflies, and bindweed that looks lovely but doesn't share nicely with the other plants.

She hasn't inherited the 'pleasure in housework' gene.

She looks forward to any contact from fellow lovers of books and any honest feedback is very welcome.


 Links to Alex:
Amazon.co.uk: https://amzn.to/37izb0V
Facebookhttp://bit.ly/2KkKTkT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Review of Wild Spinning Girls by Carol Lovekin #TuesdayBookBlog

My Review of Hard to Forgive A Shade Darker #3 by Georgia Rose #TuesdayBookBlog #domestic thriller #AShadeDarker

Poles Apart: An uplifting, feel-good read about the power of friendship and community #PolesApart #NetGalley #Friendship #Relationships #WeekendRead